On 16 March 1945 -
just weeks before the end of the war - the people of
Würzburg met a tragic fate.
225 "Lancaster" and
11 "Mosquito" bombers loaded with so-called "delayed
release technology" covered the city with a widely
spread extermination agent. In this space of death they
dropped 250 explosive and 397,000 incendiary bombs.
Through the British
attack the historically valuable city was obliterated to
85 percent in only 20 minutes by devastating fires. All
the art treasures of the Würzburg Cathedral were
with German commentary
The city had no
concrete bunker. People wandered through the basement
passages but never found an exit where fire was not
raging. And the British bombing technique aimed to
outrival the firefighters.
It was such a crowd
in the narrow underground basement corridors that
children and the elderly were simply trampled to death.
Detailed report on the destruction in the journal of the
Diocese of Würzburg: